Are you looking for ADU design ideas? Have you found yourself curious about the potential for ADU design on your property? Designing an ADU (accessory dwelling unit) can be an overwhelming task to face alone, but we’re here to help you navigate it! Superior ADUs is an all-encompassing, design-driven service that will take that empty space on your property & make it not only functional, but beautiful.
With the recent rise in popularity and a growing demand for extra space, it may be difficult to decide on how to approach the design of your ADU. In this article, we will review the essential things to consider when tackling the design phase.
Maximize access to natural light
This tip seems simple enough but is often overlooked. Natural light is a crucial part of planning ADUs because it allows for a compact space to feel more open & airy. Some ways to achieve this are:
- Adding windows into your floor plan where people will spend most of their time. Think living room, bedroom, & kitchen. Another bonus is the access to fresh air.
- Use mirrors to reflect natural light and expand the space.
- Apply light finishes such as white and light grey paints.
*Pro-tip – apply lighter paint to trim to make ceilings feel larger
Consider built-in features
Built-ins are a functional way to maximize space and define a room. Many people don’t know that this is an option when designing an ADU, but in reality, it is often a necessity to get the most out of your space. When designing built-ins, it’s integral to consider what you will be using each and every space for to get a customized yet practical design.
Possible ways to design built-ins in your ADU include:
- Designing a built-in desk and shelving system in a spacious bedroom that can function as a workspace.
- Built-in shelving systems in a living room, bathroom, or closet allow for optimal storage and a seamless finish.
- Banquettes or islands in a kitchen can double as seating and extra storage space.
Bring the outdoors in
We are lucky enough to live in beautiful, sunny, southern California. What better way to celebrate that than by fusing the indoor and outdoor space? Often referred to as ‘indoor/outdoor living,’ SoCal is well known for its fusion of interior and exterior spaces, and we understand why. Who doesn’t love a summer breeze while cooking in the kitchen or relaxing in the living room?
Some great ways to achieve this design are:
- Adding large sliding glass doors into the main living area, dining and kitchen.
- Using the same flooring throughout to create a seamless blend.
- Add a canopy/porch covering to encourage more time spent comfortably outdoors.
These are just a couple of design ideas & tips to keep in mind when designing your ADU. Once you’re ready to learn more about all the great ways we can help you make your dream ADU a reality, give the team at Superior ADUs a call. We will help you through the entire process, including design, permitting, construction, and project management.